It’s the little things that make Christmas extra special, like homemade gifts and hand written thank you notes. The thought of cooking a whole Christmas dinner from scratch can be pretty daunting so we’re certainly up for cutting corners from time to time. However a few homemade items are just the ticket to pull the whole thing together.
Have a go at making your own cranberry sauce. With a glug of red wine this ultimate cranberry sauce recipe will liven up even the driest of turkeys. Follow this quick easy recipe that will beat anything you can buy in the shops.
- 300ml of your favourite red wine
- 100ml port
- 75g brown sugar
- 500g fresh or frozen cranberries
- Pinch of all spice
- 1 clove
How to do it
- Place a pan on low heat and pour in the wine, port, sugar and spices. Allow the sugar to melt into the liquid bringing the pan to a simmer.
- Add the cranberries to the pan and continue to simmer on a low heat for 15-20 minutes – stirring from time to time.
- The cranberries will begin to break down and the sauce will begin to thicken.
- When your desired consistency is reached, check the taste to test the sugar levels – add more if required.
And there you have it, the ultimate boozy cranberry sauce recipe. Perfect for Christmas day.