Nothing can derail a fitness regime faster than eating the wrong foods. From filling up on high-sugar energy bars to overindulging after your workout, there's plenty that can go wrong when fueling or refueling. Here's our easy list of healthy, easy snacks to enjoy and keep you going both before and after your workout.
Pre-Workout (Enjoy 30 to 60 minutes before any exercise)
- Fruit with Cottage Cheese: Try 150g of low-fat cottage cheese with fresh berries, sliced apple, raisins or even pineapple!
- Dried Fruit: Make sure it's no added/low sugar
- Peanut Butter with Apple: Slice up one medium apple and dip into 2 tbsp of low-fat peanut butter
- Fresh Fruit Salad
- Peanut Butter and Banana on Wholemeal Toast: 1 to 2 tbsp of peanut butter with 1/2 a medium sliced banana
- Celery Sticks with Peanut Butter: Dip celery into 2 tbsp of low-fat peanut butter
- Turkey Lettuce Wrap: Cooked turkey breast, onion, tomato and mustard (optional) rolled up in a large lettuce leaf
- Fruit and Nut Bar: Make sure it's low fat and low sugar
- Berry Smoothie: Blend ice with frozen berries and a scoop of protein powder - add skimmed milk for thickness
Post-Workout (Enjoy within two hours of finishing your workout for optimal muscle/tissue rebuilding and energy restoration)
- Peanut Choc Banana Smoothie: Blend 1 sliced medium banana, 250ml low-fat chocolate milk and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- Tuna on Wholemeal: Mix drained tuna (in spring water or brine) with chopped cucumber, tomato and/or onion and spread on a slice of wholemeal bread
- Apple and Cheese: 1 Medium sliced apple with a small stick of low-fat cheese
- Cereal and Milk: Medium bowl of high-fibre/low-fat/low-sugar cereal with skimmed milk (garnish with fruit if desired)
- Yoghurt and Berries: Low-fat plain yoghurt garnished with plenty of berries in guaranteed to hit the sweet spot
- Nuts and Raisins: A small handful of nuts and raisins or other dried fruits will satisfy both savoury and sweet cravings
Let us know in the comments if you have any other workout snacks to share! And remember to stay hydrated before, during and after your workout with plenty of water!
Photo Credit: | 1 |