It can be hard sticking to your diet in the midst of winter, especially when all you want when you get home from work is to cuddle up in a duvet with some comfort food. But Fruit for the Office has the solution with a recipe for a low-fat alternative to a British favourite.
What You Need:
- 5 apples - cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp of apple juice
- 2 tbsp of low-fat margarine
- 35g plain flour
- 30g rolled oats (Quaker Oats)
- 35g brown sugar
- 45g sugar substitute (Splenda, Truvia etc)
- 4 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Low-fat cooking spray
What To Do: (Serves 8)
- Combine apple wedges, juice and 2 tbsp of the cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, sugar subsitute, nutmeg and the remaining cinnamon.
- Fold the margarine into the dry ingredients bowl.
- Line the bottom of a square dish with the apple mixture and spray with low-fat cooking spray.
- Pour the flour mixture evenly over the apple to cover.
- Cover in foil and bake at 190 degrees Celsius for 25-30 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for another 20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Slice and serve.
This recipe is perfect for cooking up on a Sunday, serving as a low-fat dessert then reheating as a treat after a long Monday at work! Let us know what you think of this diet friendly alternative in the comments below!
Photo Credit: | 1 |